If you’re dating a lesbian in India, you need to familiarise yourself with the lesbian sexuality spectrum. In this article, we intend to touch upon a few issues concerning you through the best lesbian dating advice. Although one would like to believe that homosexual women have come a long way and there is wide acceptance with respect to their sexuality, it may not be so in reality.
There has been a long history of hostility shown toward female homosexuality. Homophobia is quite visible and prevalent in modern-day society, as a lot of people think that it’s not natural. You cannot change a lot of these mindsets, but you can educate people about sexuality and its diversity.
More and more TV shows and films in the recent past have taken up lesbian feminism head-on. Films like “Fire” or “Ek ladki ko Dekha” and TV shows like “Four More Shots” are bringing issues of homosexual women to the forefront. With each passing day, more and more women are accepting their sexual orientation and even experimenting with it.
The lesbian community in India is full of incredibly strong and beautiful women. The sheer number is overwhelming. Yet most stay closeted since they fear abandonment by families, friends, and work colleagues.
It’s truly beautiful to know that younger WLW (Women Who love Women) coming out in India will have a supportive community to turn to.
About Lesbian Dating and Lesbians in India
In general, the movement to accept and support queer people has been making waves around the world as more countries are pushing to support their LGBTQ communities. The world is not perfect yet by any means, but seeing so many countries legalizing gay marriage and bringing in legislation to support LGBTQ folk has been inspiring.
Online dating platforms have been a particularly great source of support and community for the LGBTQ community in recent years, and this is especially true for the lesbian community when it comes to lesbian online dating tips or simply bringing the community together.
Whereas some mainstream platforms fetishize and harm lesbians, more modern options now support WLW’s quest to find their perfect woman. Here at As You Are, we’re dedicated to helping our members meet the right person for them, regardless of their identity, sexuality, or preferences.
In this blog post, we will celebrate the lesbian community in India and go over our top lesbian dating tips for finding love and staying safe.
Know That There are Amazing Online Dating Options for Lesbians in India
Firstly, it’s important to note that there are some fantastic first time lesbian dating options in India.
More and more people in the country are becoming more accepting of our community, and as a result, the level of care that is put into online dating options is increasing steadily. There are plenty of lesbian dating apps and online options to choose from.
It’ll be interesting to see where lesbian online dating goes as we head further into 2023. Hopefully, we’ll see even more people learn to love the community and support our plight for equal treatment in the mainstream world. With recent developments in technology and social media, we’re sure to see an even higher quality of online dating available too.
How to Start in the Lesbian Dating World
As a first-time lesbian dating aficionado, this world can feel overwhelming, but there are a few key steps you can take to make the process easier. First, determine what you seek in a relationship and your boundaries. This will help you filter out potential matches that aren’t a good fit for you. Next, research and choose a reputable dating site or app such as As You Are, that caters specifically to the lesbian community.
When creating your profile, be honest and genuine, and include photos showing different aspects of your personality. Finally, be proactive in initiating conversations with potential matches and take the time to get to know them before meeting in person. Remember to trust your instincts and prioritize your safety throughout the process.
Lesbian Dating Tips For Successful Lesbian Date
- Be yourself: The most important thing you can do is to be yourself. Don’t try to be someone you’re not just to impress your date. Authenticity is key to building a meaningful connection.
- Plan a fun activity: Plan a fun activity that you both enjoy. This can be anything from hiking to going to a museum. A shared experience can help break the ice and create a relaxed atmosphere.
- Listen and be present: Pay attention to your date and be present at the moment. Ask questions and actively listen to what they have to say. This shows that you are interested in them and can help to build a deeper connection.
- Show respect and kindness: Treat your date with respect and kindness. Be mindful of their boundaries, and don’t pressure them into anything they are uncomfortable with. Respectful behaviour is key to building trust and establishing a healthy relationship.
- Follow up: If you had a good time, follow up with your date and let them know. This can be as simple as sending a text message to thank them for a great time. It shows that you are interested in them and can help to build anticipation for the next date.
Lesbian Dating Advice: Mistakes to Avoid
- Making assumptions: Avoid making assumptions about your date’s sexuality or preferences. Everyone’s experiences and identities are unique, so it’s important to communicate openly and ask questions.
- Fetishizing or objectifying: Avoid objectifying or fetishizing your date based on their sexuality or gender. It’s important to treat them as whole person and not just as sexual objects.
- Moving too fast: Avoid moving too fast in a relationship. Take the time to get to know your date and build a strong foundation before jumping into anything too quickly.
- Ignoring boundaries: Respect your date’s boundaries and avoid pressuring them into anything they are uncomfortable with. Establishing clear communication and listening to each other’s needs is important.
- Being dishonest: Avoid being dishonest or misleading about your intentions or feelings. It’s important to be honest and transparent in order to build trust and establish a healthy relationship.
- Being closed-minded: Avoid being closed-minded or judgmental about your date’s experiences or identities. Be open to learning and growing together, and respect each other’s differences.
Lesbian Dating Advice You Should Consider For Your Next Date
1. Have an idea of what you are looking for before you Start Dating
It always helps to plan for what you’re looking for before you go for your lesbian first date. Are you looking for a one-time relationship? A long-term relationship with the potential for marriage? Having a clear idea of what you want will help you to pick out the right dating method and to find the right woman to start speaking with.
Also, understand where you stand in the general spectrum of Lesbian sexuality. Butch and femme are terms used in the lesbian subculture to ascribe or acknowledge a masculine (butch) or feminine (femme) identity with its associated traits, behaviours, styles, self-perception, etc. The terms were founded in lesbian communities in the twentieth century. This concept has been called a “way to organize sexual relationships and gender and sexual identity.”
There is also an emerging usage of the terms soft butch, “stem” (stud-femme), “futch” (feminine butch), or “chapstick lesbian” as terms for women who have characteristics of both butch and femme. Lesbians who are unisex and neither butch nor femme are called “androgynous” or “andros”. But there is no research that says that a Butch cannot date a Butch or a femme cannot date a femme. You may have preferences, but they may be fluid.
When you start discovering how to date a lesbian, you may find things a bit intimidating, but thanks to a very supportive queer community, you will be able to identify what you prefer and whom you want to be with. You must ask your person of interest their preferences and priority. Dating apps like AsYouAre can also be used to find friends who are like you.
2. Remember Safety First
One piece of lesbian dating advice you can’t ignore is that it’s important always to put your safety first when it comes to dating online. Ensure that you protect your information, keep yourself safe, and use social media and dating platforms responsibly. Additionally, always make sure that you plan your meet-ups and dates with people carefully.
Make sure that you know exactly who it is that you’re meeting, plan your travel beforehand and always try to let somebody else know where you’re going. This may seem morbid, but it’s better to be safe than sorry when meeting people online.
3. Lesbian dating advice you can’t ignore: discrimination exists!
This is never a nice topic to discuss, but unfortunately, it is a topic that our community must be mindful of anyway. When it comes to dating a lesbian in India, it’s important to be careful of who you speak to, who you’re out to and who you arrange to meet up with. It is unfortunate, but some people still harbour offensive, aged views on our community.
Keep yourself safe above all else, and don’t feel pressured to come out to somebody if it isn’t safe. It may feel horrible to be unable to come out or be open, but your safety should be your priority. Also, please remember that you have legal protection if you are discriminated against. If it’s safe to speak out against people who are being homophobic and reach out to loved ones or other members of the community for support.
4. Be creative with your Date Ideas
If you’ve found a woman to speak to online and you’re thinking about arranging a lesbian first date, try your best to be creative with your date ideas. This will help you stand out and make the day more memorable for both of you. A good piece of lesbian dating advice would be to look into interesting local music events, or visit a vintage store and pick out a gift for each other. The more unique you can be, the better.
5. Know that you are worthy of love and respect
The final piece of lesbian dating advice that’s worth reiterating is that every queer person reading this is worthy of love and respect. No matter what opinions people have expressed against you or the beliefs that other people may have about your identity, you are unconditionally valid and loved.
Even if you’ve had people act homophobically towards you, you are absolutely worthy of love and finding a partner. There will be the perfect person out there for you- just give it time, put yourself out there and be confident in being the most authentic version of yourself possible.
Use As You Are as a Lesbian Dating App
Here at As You Are, we support you unconditionally. No matter what pronouns you use, how you identify, or who you fall in love with, we are fiercely proud of you and want to ensure that you have just as much of an opportunity as anyone else to find true love by giving you the best lesbian dating advice and general life tips.
If you’re looking for an Indian queer dating platform, or need a match-makers service, click here. We’re proud to offer a safe and inclusive platform, and we’re dedicated to helping our members find the right match for them online.
If you have any questions on what we do or how we could help you, please do feel free to contact a member of our in-house team through our website today- we’d be more than happy to help.
Reach out to us at Hello@asyouare.in.
To sum up
One piece of lesbian dating advice is that the level of acceptance and love for the lesbian community is growing. It’s not perfect by any means, and there are still plenty of challenges for the community to go through- but it’s important that any WLW reading this knows there is love and support for them. You have just as much right as anyone else to find true love.